Thursday, April 5, 2012

VERY Sad times for MSFT Windows Phone. My "Best Buy" Experience Today



I was in Best Buy today. Already have a cell phone, but was curious to see what they had. There is Literally 80+ phones (I counted)--Probably closer to 100--but kids in the way, other customers--so couldn't count all.

Approximately 90% of the Phones were *ALL* Android based. They even had about 5-10 phones for
THE BLACKBERRY!!!! Pretty much a dead company.

I asked the guy, do you guys sell Windows Phones (fully knowing they did as I saw one station kinda off to the side to test drive one). He said "What's your carrier" Said, don't have one yet. He half heatedly said, well this is the Verizon one--DID not tell me *EVEN ONE* feature of the phone or why I should look into it

He then said "we also have for AT&T somewhere around here. Again, ZERO interest in selling me a Windows Phone---*NOT ONE* feature he mentioned.

I then found the display Kiosk with a working Windows Phone. several times it did not work (clicking on the interface) I never could figure out where the "Dial Out" button was. (by the way, I have a Masters in I.T.)

Android is  SIMPLE--you have 4-buttons--all meaningful. Want to make a call--either click one, *OR* tap the *HOME MADE SCREEN ANDROID ALLOWS YOU TO DESIGN* Actually, I have 5-"desktops/screens I can customize---it's IMPOSSIBLE to do this with Windows Phone.

Also, if I'm a business User--why in the WORLD would I want on my home screen the ability to access "pictures"??? I only spent 3-5 minutes at the Kiosk before leaving. Never once did I get a dial pad to come up (maybe it was locked to prevent people from making calls---Ironic--cause I'd want to test the phone before buying it--most stores allow you to make one call to test it.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY Microsoft can compete. They've already disclosed that their Patent Trolling has made them more revenue than actual sales of the Phone!!!!

And lastly, this is the CONTINUED MYOPIC thinking of Microsoft---they call it a *FEATURE* you can't customize the "Desktop" NOR have the ability to Kill apps.

I made the mistake of downloading an App off the Android Market that "controlled" my phone--would turn off Wi-Fi when *IT* thought I didn't need it. Would dim my screen when *IT THOUGHT* it needed to be (typically, it was when I was in sunlight---and needed to brighten it most--Needless to say, I ripped that app off as quick as I could---I can only assume MSFT will be the same way.

And this BULLSHIT that MSFT P.R. is trying to create F.U.D. with "Fragmentation" is absolute NONSENSE--a non-techie consumer has NO IDEA what that means---and if someone close asked me--I'd say it's meaningless---If you have a Ginger Bread Phone, Jellybean, Ice Cream Sandwich--the INTERFACE is exactly the same--it's just the under the hood stuff..and BESIDES---Android is BY NATURE designed so that the Handset Manuf. And Carrier can work together to create a great product.

Guess Kindel forgot that when he said "We give the Middle Finger to the Handset and Carrierr.
Probably why they had to go with Nokia and put in a Microsoft STOOGE as the C.E.O.

Again, I ask you what C.E.O./C.I.O. in America is gonna want a "Metro" Interface with one option (that can't be changed)---to click on Pictures?  Best opening point they have is the "Tween" market, and the "Tweens" have already turned their backs on MSFT with the "KIN" phone---I mean that should have been a SLAM DUNK---direct connection to FB--and couldn't sell....SAD.

Last but not least, just GOTTA share some of the BULLSHIT Kindel tried to say about his Samsung Galaxy--which is PRECISELY what people love about Android--Ability to CUSTOMIZE. And he knows as well as I do---"the Boss" will simply give to the Secretary--and say I want these "X" on my first screen, these on my 2nd screen..can you do that for me---and it's as EASY as a finger tap!

http://ceklog.kindel.com/2011/12/09/i-won-a-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-my-review/

His "Summary Review"
***************
Summary:

A typical non-geek consumer would be absolutely-fraking-crazy to pick an Android phone over a Windows Phone. Windows Phone is vastly more refined, cohesive, and easy to use. Period.

People who enjoy “managing” their phone might enjoy “managing” their Android smartphone. Those folks will probably forget how much fun “managing” a smartphone was after they’ve used Windows Phone for a while. Instead they’ll see how much fun it is to “use” a smartphone.
**************************

********************
Google (or maybe it was AT&T or Samsung) were really nice to include a built-in task manager for listing running apps. I love managing what apps are running and having to kill pigs regularly. Not.

The home screen sure is flexible. I eventually figured out all the ways to rearrange and manage things. I got over enjoying managing my program groups about when Program Manager was replaced in Win95 by the Start menu. I do not believe typical consumers WANT to manage all this crap.

I hate the iPhone’s single button. And I hate Android’s 4 buttons. I think if WP7 had just had home & back it would have been perfect. On both, search is confusing and inconsistent. On Android, “menu” is really not needed.

(Ironically I love that BEST about Android..BUTTONS that actually take me places and are Meaningful).
********************
Some of his are "outdated"--as this was early 2011--but you can read between the lines and see everything he "dislikes" is the fact YOU CAN MANGE your phone. MSFT wants to hand you one and say--take it or leave it--can't change ANYTHING






"Microsoft, Your Grandfather's Software Company"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Microsoft, Your Grandfather's Software Company